Thursday, August 13, 2015

Archie's Chair

Before I start, I just added a line at the top you can use to subscribe to this blog.  Just enter your e-mail and hit submit.  You will receive an e-mail to confirm.  When you subscribe, a copy of the current entry will be sent to your e-mail when I post it.

Now for Archie's Chair

Several days ago, I got up, said Good Morning to our girls (dogs Greta and Zoey) and headed to the kitchen for that first cup of coffee, the best of the day.  Our kitchen is large and has a seating area next to our nice big windows.  Many mornings we sit there or on the back porch and have our coffee.  I usually sit in the wicker chair that allows me a view of our back yard. It has a comfortable ottoman in front of it and I settle in very nicely.  It's My Cozy Corner. My husband, Steve usually sits at the kitchen table.  In our retirement life, morning is such a special time, the most relaxed of the day.

But this morning as I ventured into the kitchen I saw (oh no!) Steve sitting in MY chair. WHAT?! !!  He never does that!. Did he read my first blog entry or something? So, in my state of shock and horror, I poured my coffee and sat in another chair.  I moved around, tried a small stool in front of the chair and finally ended up bringing in an ottoman from the living room. Once I settled in, it turned out to be a very nice morning. Steve and I sat slightly facing each other and had a really nice conversation.  As I sat in the "other" chair, I also noticed  that the cushion wasn't quite as comfy.  Note to self: get a different cushion.

As the lazy morning progressed, I gazed at the back hallway leading in from the garage. From "my chair", I usually face the other direction.  I noticed how drab the overhead light fixture was, and then, the  light bulb came on. Up in our attic we have a lovely green and yellow tiffany light fixture.  We have had it over the kitchen table in two houses for almost 40 years. There is no place for it over our current kitchen table and for one year I have been thinking about where can I use it?  Over my cozy corner in my studio? Remade as a lamp shade? No answers. 

And here it was, just because Steve sat in my chair. 

So, I gingerly said to Steve, "I have an uncomfortable question to ask you".  He really hates doing jobs like that.

He said "what?"

"I think our tiffany lamp shade would look really nice in that back hallway. Would you put it up?" 

Answer," sure, or I'll pay someone to do it."  No argument or groaning.  Most unusual.

See how much nicer the Tiffany shade will be?



Synchrodestiny
 
To paraphrase Deepak Chopra's definition of synchrodestiny -- the universe is trying to tell you something, go with the flow.

That unwanted change in my morning routine pushed me to look at my world from a different perspective, to really look at a place that I normally don't .  I don't believe I would have come up with the idea on my own. I wasn't a willing participant in this change, but I believe I made myself open to what might happen next and good things did. 

It laughingly reminded me of Archie Bunker of the 1970s TV show "All in the Family" and how he clung to his chair and his stubborn viewpoints. That chair was a significant symbol on the show. It's now in The National Museum of American History.     

 I rejoice in getting past my Archie moment.  I received a wonderful little gift that morning.  The more I can practice this, the better I will get at it. And what could my life be like if I can practice this on a larger scale, for bigger moments.

 
Accept - then act.
Whatever the present moment
contains, accept it as if you had
chosen it . . .This will miraculously
transform your whole life."
Eckhart Tolle

 
 
 
In My Corner Today
 
Eckhart Tolle Quote. oprah.com
Search on the web site to get a nice copy of the above quote.  I have a copy I printed a few years ago. It serves me well.
 
Super Brain by Deepak Chopra, MD and Rudolph E. Tanzi, 2012.
The notation on the cover states "unleashing the explosive power of your mind to maximize health, happiness, and spiritual well-being.  I have read this twice and will read it again.  Good stuff for living and growing.

Kid's Sun Hat #90263AD, free pattern on ravelry.com
 I used this pattern to make a little basket for a friend.  I will fill it with little printed affirmations. The pattern is for a hat, but can be adjusted to any size and just the circle and the sides can be don. It also makes a cute hat for kids or adults.  Single crochet is the only stitch used.

P.S.  I also found a place for a cute little table with a lamp attached.  I had also been stuck on that on for a year.
 
 


 







5 comments:

  1. Love "synchrodestiny" and love getting to know you better through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love "synchrodestiny" and love getting to know you better through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you for planting the seed and for your comments. I am looking forward to learning more, living more, and exchanging experiences, thoughts, and ideas.

      Delete
  3. Your post had me laughing. I could really hear your voice. I love your comments on a change in perspective. Recently, I had a similar (yet less developed) moment. I was walking from my car to a new building and the route on the way back to my car seemed so much more direct than the original route I took to the building. It made me think about how important it is to look at a situation from the opposite angle to find the best solution. Also, that quote you posted has become so influential in my life ever since you gave me a copy a year ago. Thank you. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all you give to me. I love our conversations. I believe we can all help each other think, learn and enjoy. XOXOXO

      Delete