Saturday, August 8, 2015

My Cozy Corner



This is an exciting moment . . . me writing a blog.  I am still trying to figure it out, so here goes . . .

I talked with a friend of mine the other day and she told me she had started a blog. During our conversations, we usually talk about all things existential; our families, our lives now that we are "aging", our spiritual journey. After I hung up, I read the entries on her blog.  They were wonderful, a culmination of all she has experienced, accomplished and what she is doing now. And then, it hit me.  Why not do a blog myself? As a woman of a certain age, I am working on aging issues and spiritual issues.  I do a lot of reading and studying and am learning so much from spiritual teachers.

I have been wanting to explore new ways of self-expression, connect with others and organize my thoughts, so here I am.

Why Cozy Corner?

Some years ago, I began to place a comfortable chair in many rooms of my house.  I would then put an ottoman, a pillow, quilt or afghan with it.  I wanted a place for myself and others to settle in and feel safe and comfortable.  As I sat in my cozy corners in each room, I could look at the room, enjoy it, inhabit it.  I would sit in various corners at different times to read, knit, meditate or just be.  It gave me a feeling of belonging and a love for each room.  I would think, make decisions, feel joyful and sorrowful.  I belonged there. 

Almost a year ago, we moved to a different location and a different house. I purposefully placed a cozy corner in just about every room, the front porch and back porch.  The only room left is the dining room (haven't figured that out yet).

 I sit with my husband in his "office" while he works on the computer. We have light conversation and decision making discussions. His room has a golf theme and is decorated in warm reds and greens. I can sit in our big kitchen and bask in the streaming sun during winter days.  We have two guest rooms upstairs and a full bath.  One room is my "studio" with fabric, yarn and all sorts of materials.  It also doubles as a guest bedroom with two twin beds designed for grandchildren stays.  The other room is purely guest.  It has a nice sitting area and a TV.  Sometimes I sit in there and knit or watch TV.  I love "living" in every part of our house.  We are making a home. Our guest area doesn't sit empty or closed to gather dust.  I love experiencing our life and our house from different perspectives.

I thought and thought about a name for my blog and kept coming back to My Cozy Corner.  It is a warm, safe place for me to experience our house and my life.  I can now feel that same warmth and coziness inside of me quite often as I move about the world and experience life. I want to experience it more. 

So I thought I would try to express thoughts and feelings from this place of warmth, comfort, and safety; to organize thoughts; to share and invite sharing. . .

 
My Cozy Corner in Steve's "office"




 

In My Corner Today

The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav, 1989
I read it for the first time in the 90s after seeing him on Oprah.  I couldn't quite identify with it then.  I have seen and listened to him many times since then and have read the book about three more times.  I always learn something.  I just bought a hardbound 25th anniversary edition with a detailed study guide and can't wait to read, think and absorb.

The Shadow of Your Smile by Mary Higgins Clark, 2010
In 2010 I went to a book signing. I hadn't read her books, but the visit meant a lot to a dear friend. I found  Mary Higgins Clark to be a warm, genuine lady. I don't see my friend often now (although we talk on the phone regularly). Holding my signed book and reading it makes me feel close to her.










3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your blog. Carol. It seems this time of life invites us to settle in. I wish I had started this sooner rather than rushing through life always thinking I had to be productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that our growth unfolds as it is supposed to, when we live and act in a way that shows we are ready. Life is very good.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your blog. Carol. It seems this time of life invites us to settle in. I wish I had started this sooner rather than rushing through life always thinking I had to be productive.

    ReplyDelete